Automatic theme update:
From theme version 1.0.6 you can update the theme via the Envato Toolkit.
This plugin is bundled with the theme and you can install it going in Plugins, and following the procedure which appears with an alert on the top of the page:
Once the plugin is installed and actived, refresh the page.
On the left column you will find a new item:
To obtain your API Key, visit your “My Settings” page on any of the Envato Marketplaces. Once a valid connection has been made any changes to the API key below for this username will not effect the results for 5 minutes because they’re cached in the database.
If you have already made an API connection and just purchase a theme and it’s not showing up, wait five minutes and refresh the page. If the theme is still not showing up, it’s possible the author has not made it available for auto install yet.
Then follow the procedure on the screen.
If you are using the CHILD theme, please DON’T activate SONIK after the update, as it will switch to the parent theme activation. Once theme is updated, the procedure is concluded, and you can update the plugins with the procedure below.
Automatic plugins update:
After updating the theme, visit the Plugins section.
An alert on the top of the page will invite you to update the plugins, and you just have to follow the procedure.
Visual composer update:
Visual composer can’t be updated automatically unless you don’t purchase a Personal License, as it comes in Bundle.
To update this plugin, you have to:
- Locate the plugins folder, inside of the Sonic product folder
- Unzip the file js-composer.zip
- Via FTP navigate in your site to the folder wp-content/plugins
- Upload the unzipped folcer js-composer replacing the old one.
Child theme update:
Normally child themes don’t have to be updated. If you had the old version of the Sonik child theme ( Sonik 1.0.4 or older), which was not loading the styles.css of the child theme, you can update the child theme as well.
To update the child theme, you can replace the folder via FTP, replacing it in wp-content/themes/sonik-child
If you added changes to your child theme, you can simply add a new line of code in the file functions.css:
wp_enqueue_style( ‘child-style’, get_stylesheet_uri() );
This line of code needs to be added right after this:
wp_enqueue_style( ‘parent-style’, get_template_directory_uri() . ‘/style.css’ );
You can download new updates from Themeforest.net/downloads for as long as the product is maintained
A full file and database backup is recommended before updating.
No pages or site contents are deleted when updating themes or plugins.
If you used the child theme, just replace the main theme file and leave the child theme intact.
1. Unzip the theme folder on your local computer (for example on the desktop)
2. Backup your old theme version located in wp-content/themes/sonik
3. Upload the theme via FTP replacing the old theme folder
4. In your local theme folder, after unzipping, navigate to the subfolder tgm/plugins
5. Unzip all the plugins and upload them to the wp-content/plugins folder, replacing the old ones
6. visit the ADMIN screen and verify if you need to install any missing plugin(s). If you are updating from very old versions
1. Deactivate the plugins provided with the theme, to know which ones they are, you can find them in the “/plugins” subfolder of the theme product folder
2. Delete them in WordPress, or via FTP in wp-contents/plugins.
3. Install them manually from WordPress Admin -> Plugins -> Add New -> Upload
Each update version contains the list of changes.
Before updating please check the file changelog.txt located in the main theme folder.