This article explains the easiest and fastest way to update your theme without losing any content.
It refers to SLAM but is the same process for any Theme.
In case you did customizations in this theme, you need to make them in the new version BUT there is a good news:
the new theme version has the child theme.
Switching to the child theme needs only to (maybe, usually not) set again widgets in the correct location and put the menu location.
But with the child theme, if you had customizations in the old theme, just take the files to the new one.
But then forever you just update the mother theme and keep any customized file in the new one.
1. download last version from TF
2. Unzip the theme, there are 2 themes inside. Unzip them both
3. Via FTP, log in wp-content/themes
4. Download a copy of your old slam theme (to have a backup just in case)
5. Upload the child theme unzipped via FTP in the same folder
6. Reupload the mother theme (the old one that you already downloaded will be overwritten)
7. Look the plugins contained with the product: there is a copy outside of the theme, which is useful to update them manually.
Go in the plugins folder of the product you downloaded.
All these plugins needs to be reuploaded.
You can unzip them and upload them in wp-contents/plugins.
You can make a copy of the old ones but they have been already tested by us and no issues were reported in the upload.
8. In appearance->themes enable the child slam theme, and check in frontend if you need to set again widgets and menu.
All the contents and settings will be saved, updating the theme doesn’t affect your database.
You can anyway (if you have lots of contents and wanna be super careful) backup also the database from phpmyadmin or using any backup plugin.
Usually I never experienced data loss for an update. This procedure is pretty safe, just be sure that the FTP upload goes good and no files are forgotten.
FileZilla is a free FTP client, your hosting should provide you FTP credentials in case you don’t have.